During the current global crisis related to the Covid-19 virus and its wider social impacts, the SSFH realizes that many of the planned activities of the Society and its members need to be constrained and adapted. We are very keen to ensure that no one should put themselves at any risk whatsoever on behalf of work relating to or funded by the Society.
In this light, we have taken the decision to postpone our Annual Conference, previously scheduled to take place at the University of Westminster, 28-30 June 2020. This decision was taken after discussion and agreement from the Committee, Trustees, and the Organizing Committee.
We have agreed that our next Annual Conference will be held at the University of Westminster in 2021, with further details on dates and arrangements to be announced in due course. The Organizing Committee will be in touch with all speakers who have proposed a paper, and this message will be widely communicated through our available channels.
We are also aware that recipients of and applicants for research funding will be affected and their plans will have to change. In light of this, the SSFH has decided to follow the lead of the Royal Historical Society, and has adopted the policy below in relation to funding.
Recipients of SSFH Research grants, Conference bursaries, and Postgraduate Conference Panel grant:
- If a recipient of a personal SSFH grant has not already booked travel and accommodation for research, or to attend a conference, they will be allowed to delay their research plans for up to 12 months (or until the date of a rescheduled event) and still receive full funding;
- If a grant recipient has already purchased travel and accommodation before 16 March 2020 and these cannot be refunded, the SSFH will:
- not request the return of any expenses already claimed from the SSFH;
- where at all possible, honour its commitments to reimburse individuals, up to the amount initially awarded, if other avenues of refund (e.g. insurance and credit card company) have been exhausted.
Recipients of SSFH Conference and Speaker grants:
- Conference organisers are welcome to postpone events for up to 12 months and still receive full funding;
- If a conference is delayed or cancelled and non-refundable travel or accommodation costs for conference speakers have already been booked, the SSFH will cover such costs, up to the amount initially awarded, if other avenues of refund (e.g. insurance and credit card company) have been exhausted.
Recipients of SSFH Visiting Scholar Awards and the SSFH Ralph Gibson Bursary:
- Recipients are welcome to postpone events, trips, or studies for up to 12 months and still receive full funding;
- If events, conferences, or studies are delayed or interrupted and non-refundable travel or accommodation costs for conference speakers have already been booked, the SSFH will cover such costs, up to the amount initially awarded, if other avenues of refund (e.g. insurance and credit card company) have been exhausted.
We recognize that these will not be exhaustive, and that these are difficult times and the situation is evolving. We are trying our best to ensure that the scholars we fund are not disadvantaged and that the Society is as supportive as possible. If there are particular queries, then please do contact the Society Secretary Dr Andrew WM Smith (email@example.com) for further advice.
The SSFH wishes the very best of health to you and all your families and we look forward to continuing our scholarly work in the near future.
David Andress (President); Andrew WM Smith (Secretary)
19th March 2020